Monday, February 15, 2010

Welcome to my World.....

So I've finally decided to pick up on this blogging deal; I'm a writer by nature thanks to OU, so we'll see how this goes. Kudos to Kathryn and Mary Ann for putting the idea back in my head (seriously, can anyone have better in-laws by the way?!?! maybe Joe K, but other than that, I'm golden!). I plan to write about whatever sports (and possibly other) topics come to my mind; feel free to respond, read, or ignore; I'm content with whatever you choose. I'll do my best to update as often as I can and provide good links where applicable. FYI, I'm a bullet-point reader and typer, so many of my posts will come in that form.

Due to my family-friendly weekend spent in KC, I'll dedicate this first post to those topics discussed and viewed out there, keeping in mind they are all Kansas Jayhawk loyalists. So off and running we go.....

-Went to my fifth game ever at Phog Allen Fieldhouse this weekend to see KU play Iowa State (which is one terrible team, by the way). The building seeps with history and sure is one fantastic place to watch a game; one of those "must-see" spots on your sports bucket-list.

-Speaking of KU, Sherron Collins (a.k.a. the Hamburglar) may be the captain and highest-profile player on that team, but they aren't doing any damage come tournament time unless Xavier Henry leads them. When he decides to play hard, he is clearly the best player on that team. Saturday night, KU was muddling around until Henry hit three quick buckets (two threes and a lay-up) in the second half to put the game away. Teams will find a way to limit Collins due to his size and Cole Aldrich due to his lack of athleticism, but Henry can be unstoppable when the effort is there.

-Which leads me to this: one of the hardest things to do as a sports fan is to all-of-a-sudden root for a team you have disliked most of your life. I grew up not liking KU (for no other reason than they won too much), and it's been a real challenge trying to pull for them. But I promise I'm trying, KC family; I even wore a KU polo for the first time this weekend. If they ever play the Buckeyes, though, we'll have to watch separately in our house.

-I'm amazed when I hear that NBC will lose $250 million on these winter olympics....until I watch them. Cross country skiing in prime-time??? I'd almost consider choosing the Bachelor over that. Too bad Michael Phelps can't swim under ice.

-I was at a Presbyterian church this weekend (I promise this will not be a religious blog) and the minister gave a sermon titled, "Frienemies" (apparently someone who you care a lot for but that causes angst for you as well). Which got me to thinking who my "Frienemies" are. I say this out of the most respect, but my biggest "Frienemy" would have to be my cousin-in-law David Jermann, who needles me constantly about his skewed version of sports (in his defense, he is a Royals, Chiefs, and Jayhawks fan, so who can blame him?!?). Maybe some day he'll send me the $1 he skimmed off my college bowl pool winnings. He also thinks Case Keenum from Houston is a better college quaterback than Dan LeFevour from Central Michigan, which is just pure craziness. However, I do enjoy his banter and always look forward to my next Kansas visit(s) so we can antagonize in person.

That's probably enough for post #1.....plenty more to come, so please visit again!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Mike - Longtime reader, first time commenter. Love your blog.
    But, gushing praise aside, I take issue with a few of your statements.
    First, not everybody is a KU loyalist. I've never liked KU and still can't stand 'em, and that's after marrying one of these KU loyalists.
    Second, you can still dislike KU even though you married a KU loyalist. In fact, it's easier for you (as a Buckeyes fan) since you don't have the annual football and basketball rivalries casting a chilly pall over family affairs 3 times a year.
    Finally, I'll help you burn that KU polo.
    Your friend,
    Jared M.
    P.S. Way to call out David J. over a measly buck. I'm sure that won't come back to haunt you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I missed seeing you this weekend. You know that your in-law's house is on 100th Street and I'm on 106th Street, so there really is no excuse for us not to run into each other! ;)
    Here is an interesting article about the Hawks you might like: http://bit.ly/9awWbY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to many good things to come. Good start Mike!

    And yes, I do have the world's best in-laws, without a doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mike! Susie forwarded me your blog (since it mentioned KU b-ball and my church). I swore I'd never respond to something like this...until I read these words:

    "Teams will find a way to limit Collins due to his size and Cole Aldrich due to his lack of athleticism, but Henry can be unstoppable when the effort is there."

    Clearly 5 games at AFH is not enough. Collins is arguably the best point guard in the nation and I dare you to find a more-athletic (white) big man than Cole Aldrich. As for Henry, he's probably the 3rd best player on the team, but Marcus Morris might have some beef with that statement. The 'best'? Maybe if he comes back to Lawrence for his Sophomore campaign. Might be the most-talented and have the most NBA up-side if thats what you meant.

    Anyway, great post. Hopefully my response doesn't put me on your "Frienemy" list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun Mike! I am looking forward to many more articles!!!

    ReplyDelete